St. Cornelius Catholic School, a ministry of St. Cornelius Church, instills the truths and values of the Roman Catholic Tradition. We are a K-8 elementary, co-educational and multicultural school serving families of all faiths in the urban area of Richmond, California. As a faith based community, we are committed to educating the whole child and providing a challenging curriculum in a safe and secure environment. As a school community, we work together to promote peace by celebrating diversity, pride, inclusion and respect of self, others and the environment. We motivate each student to reach his/her potential and become an individual of integrity and social awareness who is equipped to make positive contributions to society.
St. Cornelius Catholic School is dedicated to the total education of each student in a Catholic environment. We strive to encompass all facets of Christian living, including: physical spiritual, moral, intellectual, social, and cultural development. Our goal is to nurture each student as a child in God’s family, to present the Gospel message of Jesus, to develop a Christian community and to encourage a spirit of service to others. Families are the first educators of children and we support and encourage this role. As active partners in the continuing process of education, we rely on family involvement and support of our school policies and programs. We value and respect the cultural diversity of the school community, recognizing the dignity and unique potential of each child. We strive to send forth Catholic learners who have become extraordinary citizens focused on academic achievement and the moral and religious commitment for making a productive contribution to today’s society.
St. Cornelius Catholic School has provided quality Catholic education to the Richmond community for fifty-six years. It was created in the late 1940’s by Catholic families who wanted a school for their children. On August 24, 1948, the school was opened and five Sisters of Notre Dame were commissioned as its first teachers. The school successfully operated under the Notre Dame Sisters until they were reassigned to Southern California in 1985. In that year, a school board was appointed and the first lay faculty was developed. In 1989 a full time pastor was assigned to the parish. Since then the school has been educating students under the guidance of the pastor, principal and lay faculty.